How to cut large format tile: instructions
Cutting and drilling: suggested tools
- Workbench with aluminium profiles
- Cutting unit
- Cutting-off pliers
- Diamond polishing pad
- Non-percussion drill
- Diamond-blade angle grinder
- Diamond blade
Cutting and drilling: detailed instructions and images
- For successful cutting and drilling, lay the slab on a stable surface, flat and not flexible. A workbench with aluminum profiles is recommended for this purpose.
- Set the cutting unit on the tile so that the references coincide with the marked lines and lock it with the appropriate suckers.
- Score one end of the slab for 5-10cm then complete the scoring from one edge to the other, being careful to maintain the same pressure while moving along.
- When the cut has been made, move the slab until the incision line sticks out 10cm from the workbench.
- Start splitting from both sides using appropriate cutting-off pliers, and follow the scoring line to complete the cut.
- Refining smooth rough edges with a diamond polishing pad.
Cutting and drilling decorated products
All cuts, drillings, and holes must be executed starting from an incision in the back of the slabs. The worktop must be perfectly clean from dirt and debris that may damage the product.
- To drill internal cutouts from the slab you need first of all to draw the guide lines.
- Florim suggests drilling first a Ø 5/7mm hole at the corners of the rectangle shape, using a non-percussion drill. While drilling also keep both surface and drill bits wet.
- Follow the drawn lines using a diamond-blade angle grinder.
- Then, finish off the edges with a diamond polishing pad.
HOW TO MAKE ROUND HOLES
- Round holes must be made in wet drilling, using diamond-blades.
- Start engraving the surface with a 75 degrees point angle, then straighten out the drill avoiding excessive pressure on the slab. No need for a percussion drill, even for holes of less than 1cm diameter.
CUTTING AND DRILLING: JOLLY
Manual traction devices are available, in order to make a finishing cut at 45° and thus enable special applications of the material. Also in this case finish with a diamond polishing pad.